How Car Insurers Investigate Accident Claims? Wanna Know, Read This

Car Insurances 282 views

Car insurance as the name suggests is the cover against the losses resulting from damage and accident to the car. You go through a list of insurers to pick the one that meets your requirements. After selecting the insurer, you read the terms & conditions, as well as declarations of the car insurance policy to know how far the cover applies to. You get the claim settlement once you file the demand letter to the insurer in the wake of losses arising out of accident to the car. But have you ever wondered about the investigation process being carried out by car insurers on the accident claims. If not, then read the post carefully and prepare yourself for the rapid fire round with your insurer when it will quiz you on the accident claims.

What does adjuster do after claim is filed

  • After being filed with your car insurer, the claim goes through a settlement process
  • A claim adjuster will be assigned to investigate your accident claim case, which is dependent upon the nature and extent of the accident, property damage, injury, etc
  • The adjuster will make a review of your policy to ensure you are covered
  • While investigating the claims, the adjuster may ask you to send a copy of police report regarding the accident
  • Moreover, the adjuster may talk to any witnesses to the accident, visit the accident spot, carry inspection to know the extent of damage to the car, take photos of your vehicle, tell you to sign a medical release form to see your records as well as contact your hospital to gather information on the expenses related to injury
People Also Look For  Know Do's and Don'ts of Car Insurance

Medical care and vehicle repair

  • The insurance company will bear the cost for covering your injuries and car repairs till the time fault is not established
  • Moment the fault is established, then the settlement amount can be either shared between your insurer and the insurer of other car driver or get paid by any of the two insurance company
  • Your adjuster may come up and blame you partially for the accident. Suppose if you are held 60% responsible for the accident, then your insurer may make 60% settlement and the rest 40% will be paid by the insurance company of other car driver.
  • In certain cases, the settlement is made entirely by the car insurer of the driver who is found to have maximum fault for the accident.
  • Your claim adjuster can tell you to get your car repaired at the company's approved body shops for a certain amount.
  • You may be given the choice to visit shops of your choice and get the quotes for comparison.
  • Either you opt for the company's shops or the ones you want to visit, you may pay the difference arising out of the shop's estimate and the amount determined by the insurer.
  • Your adjuster will seek evidence of the medical bills if the claim file features medical expenses owing to injuries from the accident.
  • The adjuster may ask you to sign a waiver that will allow your car insurer to view your medical records.
  • Once you sign and give adjuster the access to your medical records, then the information in your medical history can be used to reduce your claim amount
People Also Look For  Avail add-on covers to enjoy safe and tension-free car ride

Documents/details reviewed by adjuster

  • Insurance policy number
  • Accident date
  • Accident location
  • Accident description
  • Details of the police department involved and the police report number, if applicable
  • Name and insurance information for the other party involved

Personal Loan Interest Rates June 2018
Bajaj Finserv 10.99% - 16.00%
Fullerton India 14.00% - 33.00%
HDFC Bank 11.25% - 21.25%
ICICI Bank 10.99% - 18.40%
IndusInd Bank 10.99% - 16.00%
Kotak Bank 10.99% - 20.99%
RBL 13.00% - 18.00%
Standard Chartered Bank 10.99% - 14.49%
Tata Capital 10.99% - 18.00%
Home Loan Interest Rates June 2018
State Bank of India/SBI 8.45% - 9.00%
HDFC 8.50% - 9.15%
Bank of Baroda 8.45% - 9.45%
LIC Housing 8.45% - 8.90%
PNB Housing Finance 8.40% - 8.99%
ICICI Bank 8.50% - 9.05%
Axis Bank 8.40% - 8.75%
Citibank 8.40% - 9.20%
Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited 8.50% - 10.80%
Kotak Bank 8.60% - 8.70%
DHFL 9.05% - 9.95%
Reliance Home Finance 8.75% - 10.00%
EMI Calculator