Ayushman Bharat Yojna is a healthcare scheme introduced by the Government of India to support the poor population in the country. It consists of two main health schemes— PMJAY (Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana) and HWC (Health and Wellness Centre). More than ten crore families in India are covered by health insurance of upto Rs. 5 lakhs under the PMJAY scheme. It promises free treatment at public and private hospitals affiliated with the scheme.
The scheme also covers expensive surgeries like coronary bypass and knee replacements. The main advantage offered by the scheme is the provision of financial protection during medical emergencies. This blog will help you understand the eligibility criteria and the online registration process of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana scheme.
Eligibility Criteria of the PMJAY scheme
The eligibility criteria of the PMJAY scheme can be divided into two categories— rural sector and urban. Let’s discuss both of these in detail.
The following are the eligibility criteria for Ayushman Bharat in the rural sector:
- Scheduled tribes and scheduled caste
- Bonded labourers
- Manual scavengers
- Landless households
- Families with no male members between the ages of 16-59 years
- Familiars with no healthy adult or at least one physically challenged member.
The following are the eligibility criteria for Ayushman Bharat in the urban sector:
- Chowkidars/ Washermen
- Home-based handicraft workers and artisans
- Gardeners, sanitation workers, and sweepers
- Masons, plumbers, electricians, and repair workers
- Peons of a small organisation, shopkeepers, delivery men, and waiters
- Domestic help
- Porters, painters, welders, and security guards
- Hawkers, cobblers, and those working on streets or pavements
- Transport workers, including conductors, drivers, and rickshaw pullers.
What is the difference between regular health schemes and PMJAY?
Some of the main differences between regular and PMJAY are listed in the table below:
|Features||Regular health schemes||PMJAY|
|Eligibility||All sections of society can avail of these schemes, as long as they can pay for them.||Specially designed for low-income groups of society.|
|Premium||Starting from Rs. 200 per month (varies depending upon the scheme).||Starting from Rs. 100 per month or can be fully sponsored by the government.|
|Sum insured||Maximum sum of up to Rs. 1 crore is insured (depending on the plan).||A maximum sum of up to Rs. 5 lakh is insured.|
|Time take for purchase||Plans can be purchased instantly.||Takes some time for processing.|
|Network of hospitals||Wide range of private hospitals is covered.||A large number of government and private hospitals affiliated with the government are covered.|
|Ambulance charges||Are covered by most plans.||May or may not be covered.|
|Health check-ups||Covered by most plans.||Not covered.|
Features of the Ayushman Bharat Yojna Scheme
Apart from being an incredibly helpful scheme for people of low-income groups, the following are the other main features of the Ayushman Bharat Yojna Scheme:
- It is a family floater scheme through which every family enrolled gets an assured sum of Rs. 5 lakh.
- The scheme has been specifically introduced for those belonging to low-income groups as they usually lack access to the internet or other online health plans.
- The scheme also facilitates the transportation charges incurred by the beneficiary during pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation periods.
- The payment for medical expenses is made on the basis of a predetermined package rate by the government.
Benefits of the PMJAY scheme
Following are the main benefits of the PMJAY scheme:
- Provides healthcare cover of Rs. 5 lakh to every family registered in the Socio-Economic and Caste Census database.
- The scheme gives priority to women, girl children, and senior citizens.
- It includes secondary and tertiary medical care and significantly reduces out-of-pocket expenditure on medical services.
- It has broadened the health insurance network for people belonging to low-income groups of society and improved their quality of life.
How to register for the Ayushman Bharat Yojana scheme and download the card online?
Following is a step-by-step guide you can follow to register for the Ayushman Bharat Yojana scheme online:
- Visit the official website of PMJAY.
- Your name will be displayed on the right side of the screen if you are eligible.
- Fill up the application form to register for the Ayushman card online.
- You will be directed to upload scanned copies of some documents.
- Submit the attached documents along with the form.
- The relevant authorities will process your application.
- After it is approved, you will be issued an online Ayushman card in the form of a PDF. Download the card.
How to check names in the PMJAY scheme list?
Follow the steps given below:
- To check your name in the final beneficiary list of PMJAY, go to the PMJAY official portal.
- Enter your mobile number and captcha code.
- Select ‘Generate OTP’. An OTP will be sent to your mobile number.
- Enter the OTP. You will be led to a search screen containing slots for – search by name, mother’s name, father’s name, spouse’s name, and PIN code.
- You can also call the PMJAY helpline number 14555 to crosscheck your inclusion in the list.
Documents required for the registration process
Submitting authentic documents is a very important part of the Ayushman Bharat registration process as it quickens the entire process. The following are documents you should keep ready if you are interested in planning to apply for the Ayushman Bharat Yojna scheme.
- Income certificate
- Age and identity proof
- Caste certificate
- Contact information, including address, phone number, and email ID.
- Documents stating the current status of your family.
A quick tip: When applying online for the Ayushman card, double-check all the information to make sure they are correct. Submitting incorrect data can result in potential problems in the future.
What certificates are required to apply for PMJAY Registration?
While applying for Ayushman Bharat Yojana, you have to submit the following two certificates:
- Caste certificate
- Income certificate
- Family structure
Also, you will need to specify your family structure. For example, you must mention whether you are a part of a joint family or a nuclear family.
The Ayushman Bharat Yojna scheme is a very rewarding scheme, and all eligible citizens should take advantage of it. We hope this blog helps you determine whether or not you are eligible for the scheme. If you are eligible, you can follow the step-by-step guide given here to register for the scheme.
1. Are already existing illnesses covered by the PMJAY scheme?
Yes, all existing medical conditions are covered by the scheme.
2. Where can I find the list of hospitals covered by the PMJAY scheme?
The list of hospitals covered by the scheme can be found on the official PMJAY website or the Arogya Setu app.
3. What is the Ayushman Bharat helpline number?
The national-level helpline number for Ayushman Bharat is 14555.
Comments are closed.