Tips to enhance your shopping experience in Egypt
Travel 223 views
Travelling is incomplete until you shop in the local markets of the selected destination. Not only you get the best deals there but they are the place where you can connect with the local people and learn about their customs. You can witness the hustle bustle of the town and collect the authentic experience of the place. In Egypt, local markets are termed as Souks. They are the remarkable spots of tourist attraction. Since the markets are tourist hub local vendors try and pursue each passerby to purchase and charge them heavily. While you are shopping in Egypt you need to know the following things:
Where to shop from
- There is a local market in almost every district of Egypt. Most popular ones are Khan El Khalili in Cairo and the touristic bazaars of Luxor, Aswan, Sharm El Sheikh and Hurghada. From grocery to souvenirs, everything is available here at reasonable prices.
- If you want to purchase branded items visit malls like City Stars, Nile Hilton Mall, Nile Mall, and Geneina Mall in Cairo, San Stefano Mall, Zahran Mall and Grand Palaza Mall in Alexandria.
What to Buy
It's useless to add unnecessary baggage. Shop for exclusive and rare things. In Egyptian markets search for the following things:
- The markets and bazaar of Egypt offer a rich collection of souvenirs and handcrafts – The popular souvenirs which tourist like to buy include idols of Phanoraic Gods and statues of renowned kings and queens of ancient Egypt.
- Another thing which you can purchase is the Shisha, traditional Egyptian water pipes. It is the most saleable product in the Egyptian market.
- Chess and backgammon boards – The boards are available in two qualities, the cheaper ones are crudely made whereas the fine board may cost little high.
- Sandals, shoes and bags – The shoes and bags are made of pure leather .
- Cotton products – Egyptian cotton is very famous all over the world. The market is flooded with shirts and trousers made of pure cotton. You can get beautiful bed sheets, bed covers and scarves made of cotton.
- Belly dancing outfits and accessories – Made from shining and colourful material it is a perfect piece of gift for the grown-ups and children.
Points to remember while shopping in Egyptian Street Markets
- Don't hesitate from haggling in the local Egyptians markets. Bargaining is a craft which is universally practised. No matter you are standing on the foreign ground feel free to exercise your bargaining skills.
- Deal confidently and don't get persuaded by the local people.
- Politely refuse the shopkeeper if you are not interested in buying his goods.
- The markets are filled with touts. Be vigilant and cautious.
Keep your money safe. Do not stuff money in the single pocket. Keep some money in the hidden pocket.