Aadhaar Card Link to Driving Licence
Aadhaar has gradually but steadily become one of the most important documents for Indian residents. You can now connect your Aadhaar Card to your driver's licence. Aadhaar is now required to receive government subsidies under various schemes. According to media reports, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has begun to develop simple methods for linking Aadhaar with Indian residents' driving licences. Moreover, you can even use your e-Aadhaar card to get it linked with your driving licence. In other words, all you need to have is your Aadhaar number to get it linked with your driving licence.
Process to Link Aadhaar with your Driving Licence Online
The Road Transport Department of each state or union territory issues driving licences. As a result, the online method for linking Aadhaar with driving licences varies by state. However, the overall process will remain unchanged. However, it is important to understand that this process can be used at all state transport department websites. Here are the steps to online linking driving licences with Aadhaar:
- Go to the website of your state's or UT's department of transportation.
- Select the "Aadhaar Link" option.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Driving Licence."
- Now enter your driver's licence number and select "Get Details."
- In the fields provided, enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and mobile number (Remember that your mobile number should be the one registered with UIDAI)
- To finish the process, click the "Submit" button.
- You will then receive the OTP on your registered mobile device.
- Enter the OTP to finish linking Aadhaar to driving licences.
Why is the Government Trying to Link Driving Licences with Aadhaar?
The government has discovered numerous cases where a single person holds multiple driving licences. A person cannot hold multiple driver's licences under road transportation laws. A driver's licence issued in one state is valid in all of the country's states and union territories. As a result, a person does not need to have multiple driving licences. To combat this threat, the central government intends to link Aadhaar with driving licences. Duplicate licences can be easily controlled because only one driving licence can be linked to an Aadhaar card. The process has not yet begun, but will do so once the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has finalised all legal and infrastructure arrangements. If a person has multiple driving licences, he can surrender them at a regional Road Transport Department office.
Benefits of Linking your Aadhaar Card with Driving Licence
There are numerous benefits of linking your Aadhaar card with your driving licence. Some of them are as follows:
- By linking Aadhar to a driver's licence, the entire operation will be brought under one roof.
- The Aadhaar-based unified platform will allow authorised agencies in India to obtain and verify the licence details of every car owner.
- The authorised agencies will be able to distinguish between genuine and fake driving licences.
- If a person holds multiple licences, transportation authorities will be able to identify forged documents and take appropriate action.
- The drivers' information will be stored in a centralised online database. The data will be available throughout India, ensuring that no duplicate licences are issued.
- The directive to link Aadhar with driving licences will increase transparency and anti-corruption efforts.
- The entire procedure will be carried out electronically. In contrast to manual procedures, individuals will be issued a driving licence 72 hours after passing the driving test.
- The number of road accidents will decrease because no one will be able to obtain a licence unless they pass the driving test.
- Various transportation-related operations will now be faster and easier.