Link Aadhaar Card To Income Tax Return
If you wish to file your Income Tax return then, the Government of India has made it mandatory for all the individuals to link their Aadhaar card with PAN card in order to be able to file the Income Tax Return. According to the Aadhaar Act, 2016 and the section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, it is only applicable for Indian citizens. However, if you have any errors in your PAN card then it is advisable for you to first rectify the errors first and then link your aadhaar card with your PAN card.
Process to Link Aadhaar Card to Income Tax Returns
There are mainly two ways of linking your aadhaar card to Income Tax Returns. You can either link it by either getting your documents linked online or by sending SMS. Both the steps are mentioned below:
Link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card Online
Follow the steps mentioned below to link your aadhaar card to PAN card online:
- Head over to the official E-filing website
- Under the ‘Services’ section click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option
- Enter details such as your PAN and Aadhaar number
- Enter the name as mentioned on your Aadhaar card
- Tick the box if only your year of birth is mentioned in the Aadhaar card as Date of Birth
- Instead of the image captcha, the visually challenged can avail the facility of requesting an OTP
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” button after entering the verification code
However, it is important to understand that your PAN card would not be linked with your Aadhaar card if your name, DOB and other details do not match in both the documents.
Link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card By SMS
Another method to link your Aadhar card with your PAN card in order to be able to file Income Tax Returns is by SMS. In order to link your Aadhaar card with PAN card, you need to send the SMS in the following format:
<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN>
- Moreover, you need to send the SMS either to 567678 or 56161.
Issues in Linking Aadhaar Card with PAN Card
The only issue that can arise while linking your PAN and Aadhaar card is if you spell your name, gender, or date of birth incorrectly. These errors could be caused by a variety of factors, including an error in updating the details in your document or other human errors. This could cause serious problems if you want to link your PAN and Aadhaar. You must first correct those details before your documents can be linked. There are separate methods for updating your PAN and Aadhaar details. If there are any errors in your PAN details, you must correct them through the NSDL website. If your Aadhaar contains errors, you can get them updated at the official UIDAI website.
Exemption of Linking Aadhaar Card with PAN Card
Only those individuals who are eligible for Aadhaar must link their Aadhaar to their PAN. However, there are still some exemptions for the same that are as follows:
- NRIs, OCIs, POIs, and others who do not live in India but conduct business here are exempt from having their PAN linked to Aadhaar.
- Foreign nationals residing in India are also exempt from having their Aadhaar linked to their PAN.
- Assam, Meghalaya, and J&K taxpayers are also exempt from linking their PAN with Aadhaar.
- Senior citizens over the age of 80 are exempt from the requirement to link both documents.