Link Aadhaar with PAN Card
Linking your Aadhaar card to your PAN card is now required since your income tax return will not be completed if your Aadhar is not connected to your PAN. In addition, if you want to conduct a financial transaction worth more than INR 50,000, you must connect your PAN card and Aadhar card. Linking a PAN card to an Aadhaar card is straightforward, and the government has offered several means for doing so. The deadline for connecting a PAN to an Aadhaar card has been extended till March 31, 2023. However, you must now pay a fee to link your Aadhaar with your PAN card. If the connection is completed by June 30th, 2022, a cost of INR 500 will be paid. You will have to pay a cost of INR 1,000 beyond this date. Moreover, you can link your aadhaar card with your PAN card by the following two ways:
Link Aadhaar Card to PAN card Online through E-filing Website
You can link your Aadhaar card to PAN card online via e-filing website by following the below mentioned steps:
- Head over to the Tax E-filing website
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” option
- Fill in the Details such as your Aadhaar and PAN number along with your name on the Aadhaar card
- Tick the box if your Date of Birth is mentioned on your Aadhaar card
- Tick the box that says “I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI”
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” button
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number and hit “Validate”
- On the next screen you will be notified about successfully linking your aadhaar card with your PAN card.
Link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card Through SMS
Another method to link your Aadhaar card to a PAN card is by sending SMS. Below is the method to link your Aadhaar to PAN card:
- Type a message in the format UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN>
- Send the message to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number
What to Do if you Fail to Link PAN with Aadhaar Online?
It has now been made mandatory for all PAN card holders to link their PAN cards with their Aadhaar cards before the deadline of 31st March 2023. Failure in doing so can lead to the deactivation of your PAN card by the Income Tax Department and you would not be able to file Income Tax Returns. Moreover, your name mentioned on the PAN card should match with the name that is mentioned on your Aadhaar card. You would not be able to link your Aadhaar card with a PAN card if there is a mismatch in your name spelling on both the cards. In such a case you will have to first get your name corrected on the card and then you will be able to link your Aadhaar card with your PAN card easily.
In case there is a spelling mistake on your PAN card
You can follow the below mentioned steps to get your name corrected on your PAN card:
- Head over to the e-filing website of NSDL
- Select the “Changes or Correction in existing PAN data” option
- Select individual category and enter your details
- After completing the Aadhaar e-KYC you would be able to submit your form and make the necessary payment
- You will then receive your updated PAN card at your address and you can, therefore, link your Aadhaar card with your PAN card.
In case there is a spelling mistake on your Aadhaar card
In case there is a spelling mistake on your Aadhaar card then you can follow the steps below to rectify it:
- Visit the Aadhaar Enrollment Centre
- Fill in the Aadhaar Correction form
- Submit the form along with a copy of your ID proof
- You will then receive an acknowledgement slip that contains the update request number
- This Update Request Number can be used to check the status of your query
- You can link your PAN with Aadhar once your update request is processed and your name is corrected.
How to check your Aadhaar Card and PAN Card Linking Status
In order to check the status of your Aadhaar card being linked to your PAN card you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official e-filing Income Tax Department page
- Under the “Quick Links” option select the “Link Aadhaar Status”
- Enter your PAN number and Aadhaar number
- Click on “View Link Aadhaar Status”
- The next screen will display your Aadhaar-PAN link status.