Any wrong information in your EPF account, including a wrong name, can cause issues when you try to withdraw an amount. Therefore, if you find out that your name has been misspelled or there is any kind of name error in your EPF account, you must take steps to correct it immediately. You can make the correction online as well as offline mode. Below is the whole process explained in detail.
Online Method of Changing Employee Name in EPF Account
Using this method, you don’t need to submit documents and wait 2-3 months for the name change to be approved. Below are the steps that you can follow to change your method in online mode:
Step 1: Go to the UAN portal and log in to your EPF account using your user details.
Step 2: Go to the ‘Modify’ section next and select ‘Modify Basic Details’
Step 4: A page will then appear with the available information and the option to request a name change. Submit your name as per your Aadhaar card.
Step 5: Press the ‘Update’ option. You will receive a notification saying ‘Pending approval by Employer.’
Step 6: Request your employer to approve the request. After the request has been approved, the EPFO authorities will change your name within 30 days.
Details About EPF Name Correction Form
The EPF Name Correction Form is a document in the form of a letter. It needs to be addressed to the Regional EPFO Commissioner in the following format:
- Mention “Joint declaration by the member and the employer” as the letter’s subject.
- Write that you were an employee of an organisation and that you got your name wrong. Mention that you have written the letter to get your name corrected.
- Make a table with three columns and write the details about the particulars that need to be changed in the first column, the correct entry in the next, and the wrong entry in the third column.
- You can use this letter to correct errors in name, name of the guardian, EPS account number, date of birth, and date of joining or leaving an organisation.
- All the options will be presented to you, and you will have to fill in the columns where the information recorded needs corrections.
- Once the EPF Name Correction Form fill-up is complete, you can mention the documents you are submitting as proof of the changes requested in the letter.
- Then you have to affix your name to the letter and sign it. You will also need to enter the name of your previous organisation’s authorised signatory and get the application signed and sealed by him.
Documents Required to access EPF Account
- Driver’s license
- PAN card
- Voters ID card
- Aadhaar card
- Educational documents
- ESIC ID card
- Bank or post office passbooks
- A copy of the electricity, phone, or water bill with your name on it
- Birth or death certificate issued by a registrar
- A certificate that is generated based on the records of government service (central or state)
Issues to Deal with in Case of Incorrect EPF Details
It is crucial for you to ensure that the details entered with your EPF account are correct; otherwise, it can give rise to many issues, such as a claim rejection. Below are some issues that you might have to deal with in case of incorrect EPF details:
- Any wrong entry of information (or misspelled details) in the EPF record at the time of enrollment can result in a claim rejection.
- Incorrect nominee details may lead to issues during an EPF claim
- Having entered incorrect joining data can also lead to many issues. This is because it is used to calculate EPS pensions.
Procedure to Change Credentials Online
EPFO allows its members to change their credentials in the records online. They have introduced the EPFO UAN portal to help facilitate this process. You must have a mobile number, UAN, and password to go to your EPF account via this website.
If it is your mobile number that you wish to change, you can just log in to the EPF UAN portal and click on ‘Profile’. You will be offered the option to change your mobile number under that tab. However, it is compulsory that you keep your old mobile number working while making the change.
Procedures to Change Credentials Offline
EPF allows you to change details such as name, date of joining, and date of birth in your EPF account. Following are the ways in which the changes can be made:
Name correction: You will need to submit a joint application along with supporting documents via your employer if your name has been incorrectly recorded in the EPF records. The following are the accepted documents to make the change:
- Aadhar Card
- PAN card
- Driving License
- ESIC Identity Card
- Voter Identity Card
- Ration Card
- A birth or death certificate issued by a Registrar
- Bank Passbook copy
- Educational documents
- Document to prove your service in the State or Central Government organisation
- Copy of water, electricity, or telephone bill with your name on it.
The following are the steps to be taken to apply for the change:
- Complete the requisite form and fill in all the required details carefully.
- Sign the form and get it signed and sealed by your employer also.
- Attach self-attested copies of the documents mentioned above.
- Submit the documents and the filled and attested form to your employer, who will forward it to the concerned EPFO Field office.
Change of Father’s or Spouse’s name: The procedure to be followed is the same as above. A joint request on behalf of you and your employer needs to be sent to the EPF department.
Date of birth correction: You can also change your DOB by following the procedure mentioned above. You will, however, need to provide proof of your DOB along with the application.
EPF Name Change Rules
- As your name has been provided to the EPF by your employer, the name change can’t be done independently. Your employer’s support in the process is important.
- Only the documents mentioned above can be provided as identity proof to make the changes.
Name correction due to Marriage
Usually, when someone gets married, they add a title or a surname. In such a case, the person is required to fill out a prescribed EPF Name Correction Form and submit it to the EPFO.
It is important to enter the correct personal details in your EPF account to ensure smooth transactions and avoid facing problems in the future. We hope this blog helps with the process of name correction with EPF.
1. Can an employee change this name in EPF independently?
No, the employee and the employer need to make a joint declaration for the name change. Employer’s support in the process is mandatory, and the employee can’t get it done independently.
2. How does the helpdesk portal help to make the name change?
This portal allows you to correct several issues in your EPF account, including the name change. You only need to log in to the EPF UAN portal and hit the ‘Member’ tab. You will be redirected to a page that lets you make the necessary changes.
3. I want to get my mobile number changed, is it ok if I leave my old mobile number?
No, it is compulsory to keep your old mobile number working while applying for a mobile number change.
Comments are closed.