A savings account offers you many facilities like keeping your money safe, interest rate, easy withdrawals, and many others. Similarly, if you open a savings account at the Post Office then you can earn an interest of 4% every year. You can have your own cheque book and passbook to make easy withdrawals and keep a track of your transaction. But you must know how to open a Post Office savings account if you don’t have an account. The only way to open a savings account at the post office is to visit the nearest post office and submit the savings account application form. The bank will ask for the deposit amount, documents, and signatures to open an account at the post office.
Process to Open Savings Account at Post Office
You can follow the steps below to open a savings account at the Post Office:-
- Visit the nearest Post Office or the official website of the Post Office.
- Ask for the Savings Account application form or you can even download it from the official website.
- Fill up the form and give all the information accurately.
- Then provide the photocopy of the mentioned documents with the form.
- Attach your passport size photograph and signature in the boxes.
- Pay the deposit amount and it cannot be less than INR 20.
- If in case you don’t need a cheque book then you will have to deposit INR 50 to the bank.
- Finally, your savings account at the post office will be opened after the fulfillment of all the formalities.
Properties of Post Office Savings Account
- The minimum initial deposit is INR 20.
- You will have to maintain a minimum balance of INR 50 if you don’t have a Post Office Savings Account Cheque book.
- The minimum deposit should be INR 500 if you want a cheque book.
- The interest rate on Savings Account of Post Office is 4%
- You can earn tax-free interest of up to INR 10000.
- A minor of 10 years can open a Post Office savings account.
- Single account holders can deposit a maximum of INR 1 lac at the time of opening an account.
- Joint account holders can deposit a maximum of INR 2 lac at the time of opening an account.
- There is no lock-in or maturity period in this savings account.
Documents Required for Post Office Savings Account
- Age Proof Documents:- Pass Certificate of 10th Standard, Passport, Birth Certificate, Voter I.D. Card. (Any One Document)
- Identity Proof Documents:- PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Voter I.D. Card, Passport, Driving License. (Any One Document)
- Passport Size Photograph and Signature
- Address Proof Documents:- Ration Card, Electricity Bill, Telephone Bill, Driving License, Passport, Voter I.D. Card, Last 2 Months Bank Statement. (Any One Document)
We have told you how to open Post Office Account so now you can open it easily. All you have to do is to visit the nearest branch and submit the savings account application form to the post office. The representative will verify all the documents and take the deposit amount. In the end, your savings account will be opened with the Post Office.