Link Aadhaar Card 655 views
Want to perform any banking transaction on your mobile phone with ease? Then link your Aadhaar to your mobile number which is a mandate announced by the Central Government of India in one of its notifications dated 1st June 2017 on account of changes made under the Prevention of Money-laundering (Maintenance of Records) Rules, 2005.
Be wary of linking your SIM with Aadhaar until 6th February, 2018 so as to prevent your mobile number from deactivation post-February 2018. Several mobile operators have already started sending alerts to their customers in order to complete their Aadhaar-SIM Linking process. In order to simplify the process of linking mobile number with Aadhaar, the government has come up with three measures helping people to complete the registration process within the comfort of their homes. These consist of verification via OTP (one-time password), Aadhaar app, as well as IVRS facility. It’s on you whether you like to visit mobile stores for registering your biometrics and complete the process.
Now linking Aadhaar Number to Mobile number has become easier even for the disabled, chronically ill and senior citizens as the Government has permitted the telecom companies to complete the re-verification process at their doorsteps. In order to do so, telecom operators have laid down an online mechanism for such people to request for their doorstep verification.
Table of Contents
- 1 One-Time Password
- 2 Agent-assisted Authentication
- 3 Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS)
- 4 Steps to Link Aadhaar with Mobile Number
- 5 How to Link Aadhaar with Mobile Number Online?
- 6 How to do Aadhaar mobile number update yourself?
- 7 Documents required for seeding your Mobile Number
- 8 Benefits of Aadhaar Seeding with your Mobile Number
- 9 Consequences in Failing to Seed your Aadhaar with your Mobile Number
To get the facilitation request for OTP on your mobile number, make sure that your mobile number is already registered with Aadhaar database. This method can be put to use for re-verification of other mobile numbers that the subscribers may be using as well. OTP will assist them in performing electronic verification of their cell phone numbers either through websites or mobile apps.
Now the agents who have been involved with biometric authentication for doing SIM re-verification or issuance won’t be able to access the full details of subscribers as per the directives of telecom companies. Nor they have the access to store the subscriber’s data on their device. These measures have been initiated in order to improvise the flexibility of performing re-verification and improve the success rate.
Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS)
Interactive Voice Response System can be used for verification processes with the help of specially designed apps. As the telecom operators have been asked by the government to put iris scanning devices for use at service points. This will be operated especially by senior citizens or disabled who face numerous difficulties in order to verify their identity via fingerprint-based Aadhaar authentication.
Regardless of the re-verification processes of existing prepaid and post-paid mobile numbers, securing a new mobile connection also require verification of your Aadhaar based e-KYC. The government plans to complete the re-verification process by early 2018.
The procedure for obtaining Aadhaar mobile number update entails following steps offline:
Step 1: Visit your the nearest shop of your telecom operator with Aadhaar Card
Step 2: Request them to link Aadhaar number with the mobile number by filling up a re-verification form.
Step 3: The operator will send a verification code on your mobile number which you wish to verify.
Step 4: Provide the verification code to the telecom operator.
Step 5: Provide you with bio-metric expressions.
Step 6: You’ll obtain a confirmation message, all you are required to type Y & send it to them.
Step 7: The verification process takes 24 hours in order to complete.
Don’t worry if you have more than one connection? As you are not required to provide biometric every time. But you need to verify your all mobile numbers individually using the four-digit verification code simply by visiting your nearest mobile retailer.
Come January 1, 2018 and you can link Aadhaar card with a mobile number online using a one Time Password (OTP) mechanism. It can be done via SMS, voice-based IVRS call or even the mobile app.
- You need to text your Aadhaar number from your registered mobile number
- Subsequently, the service provider will do a demographic verification of the number and submit an OTP request to Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- The UIDAI, in turn, will send the OTP to the mobile number
- The users would then be required to send the OTP to the registered mobile number
- With that, the e-KYC process is complete
- Subscribers, at first, should call the Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) from their mobile number
- Choose from the languages – English, Hindi or others
- A subscriber must give consent for verification with the Aadhaar number
- After giving the consent, an OTP will be sent to the mobile number
- Next, you need to enter the OTP which will be verified within a certain period of time
How to do Aadhaar mobile number update yourself?
Now users can also have the provision of updating a different mobile number online. But users need to link their existing number with Aadhaar prior to this procedure. This is because the verified OTP would be sent on the existing number of the users.
Step 1: Log in to the official UIDAI website, uidai.gov.in.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Aadhaar Update’ option which will redirect the users on the website of Aadhaar Self-Service provider.
Step 3: Enter the details like your Aadhaar number, the Captcha text, and request for the One-time Password on your existing mobile number. The OTP will be sent on your mobile number.
Step 4 : Enter the OTP details and then the users will be redirected to that website page wherein they can update their requisite details.
Step 5 : Under the field ‘Select to Update’, select ‘Mobile Number’. Now enter your new mobile number which you wish to record in the database and submit it successfully.
Documents required for seeding your Mobile Number
Aadhaar Card (Digital Or Hard Copy)
Your Active Telecom Subscriber SIM card(Whether Idea, Airtel, Vodafone or others)
Bio-Metric Verification Machine With Retailer
OTP (SMS You Received)
Finger Print For Verification
Benefits of Aadhaar Seeding with your Mobile Number
1. Secures Your Identity for Preventing any Fraud
2. Entails Safe Transaction from your Mobile Number
3. Prohibits Deactivation of your Mobile Number
4. Allow Income Tax return filings
5. Payment of Utility Bills(electricity, gas, water bills or shopping bills) within your own comfort.
6. Speedy Purchase/Sell of any commodity online without any interruption.
7. Prevents delays in screening your application process for verification.
8. Promotes Ethical practices under Government directives.
9. Avoids mismatch in database error (whether your name, address or date of birth) while dealing in any transaction with the vendor.
Consequences in Failing to Seed your Aadhaar with your Mobile Number
1. Vulnerabilities to fraud access like money laundering, black marketeering etc
2. Leading to Deactivation of your Mobile Number
3. Unable to File Income Tax Returns
4. Unable to pay utility bills online or to engage in any purchase/sell of any commodity
5. Long drawn process in verifying your application form with merchants leading to delay in services
6. Possibility of mismatch in your personal details like name, address or date of birth.
To sum up, after going through the above article you must have understood the importance of seeding your Aadhar with your mobile number which will ultimately simplify your all transaction processes at ease. Hurry up before you miss the deadline so as to avoid any interruptions later on.