Link Aadhaar Card 620 views
- Now It's Mandatory to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card
- Last Date Extended to March 31, 2018
The government of India has made it mandatory to link PAN with Aadhar number. It has also been ordered to link Aadhaar to all services such as the mobile number and bank accounts other than the Permanent Account Number (PAN) card. Talking about the linking Aadhaar card with PAN, everyone has to do it no matter the person files ITR or not. Thus, those who do not have a PAN card or Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) will have to get one. The government has however given some time to those who are yet to apply for Aadhaar card. UIDAI has also introduced face authentication feature which will come into practice from July 1, 2018.
You can apply for Aadhaar card online as well and also link it with PAN or other documents online with ease. Digitalization is ruling the world and India as well. People prefer online procedure for everything. So is the case with Aadhaar linking. The procedure to link these two documents is available online.
Table of Contents
The linking of Aadhaar card and PAN card can be done online through income tax website. There is a facility available on the Income Tax Department’ e-filing website-incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in where the PAN card can be easily linked with Aadhaar card. The steps to do this are as follows:
- Visit the income tax e-filing website mentioned above.
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option
- Enter PAN card number, Aadhaar, and name of the documents holder
- An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number with Aadhaar card
- Give Aadhaar in PAN application form
If the name on any of the two documents is different, the linkage may fail. However, the PAN card holder has to change the name in either of the two documents through PAN database or going to the PAN application center of NSDL eGov or UTITSL for Biometric Aadhaar authentication.
The last date for linking each document with Aadhaar card is differently set by the government. Thus, it is suggested to follow the deadlines and complete the procedure failing to which have some consequences. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the last date to March 31, 2018, from December 31, 2017, as announced by the apex body of Income Tax Department.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) in its notification dated June 29, 2017 has provided other methods to link PAN and Aadhaar. You can also do it with your mobile as per your comfortable time and place. The mobile number, however, has to be updated in the Aadhaar first. If you have already linked your Aadhaar with the mobile number, you can follow the below steps:
- Type UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
- Send it to 567678 or 56161 from your mobile number.
For example, if your Aadhaar number is 111122223345 and PAN is ABCPA9999Q. Then you are required to send SMS to 567678 or 56161 as UIDPAN 111122223345 ABCPA9999Q
The are no additional charges by NSDL and UTI for this but the normal SMS charges as levied by the mobile operator will be applicable.
If anyone is facing issues while linking Aadhaar card with PAN, there is an alternative. The Income Tax Department has introduced a one-page form for taxpayers to manually apply for linking their Aadhaar with PAN card other than the online and SMS facility. Below are the steps to do so:
- Mention PAN and Aadhaar Numbers
- Spellings on both the documents should be same
- A signed declaration that the provided Aadhaar number in the application form has ‘not been provided’ by them for the purpose of linking it with ‘any other PAN’.
If the process of PAN card Aadhaar seeding is incomplete, below are the consequences that you will have to face:
- PAN number will become invalid after March 31, 2018.
- ITR won’t be processed.
- A notice under ITR section 142 (1) will be issued.
- A penalty of ₹5,000 for not filing ITR on time.
- Can’t claim or carry forward the capital loss, business loss, etc.
- Refunds shall not be granted in case ITR is not processed.
Interest under section 234 A, B, C will be levied as per the tax payable.
Thus, there is no point in delaying or taking this order lightly. So, link the Aadhar with PAN card with the help of the information provided in this article to avoid the trouble.