Most of you have heard of or seen the FSSAI logo on the back of food products. FSSAI stands for “Food Safety & Standards Authority Of India”, which governs, regulates, and monitors all kinds of food businesses in India. FSSAI is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare of GOI.
Any industry dealing in food products is required to have an FSSAI license. Moreover, anyone planning to enter the food manufacturing sector must secure this license. So, this is a necessary license for the players in the food industry to follow the FSSAI rules and regulations.
The FSSAI food license must be obtained by every kind of food operator involved in the manufacturing, storing, or processing of food items. Moreover, the FSSAI License and registration are different things; the food business operator needs to obtain those based on the size of their business.
Earlier, the registration process was done through an online mode known as FLRS (Food Licensing and Registration System). However, after November 2020, the FLRS (Food Licensing And Registration System) was replaced by FosCos (Food Safety & Compliance System)
If you’re a license holder under the previous license, you must verify the details according to the current license. Moreover, if you’re planning to get a new license, you must follow the current system.
How does the FSSAI Number Look?
Whenever someone applies for an FSSAI license, they have to go through a specific test to get their license. After qualifying for the test, a 14-digit unique digit is issued, which consists of 5 parts. Note that the FSSAI number is unique and will be different for every user.
The food business owners need to have the FSSAI number attached to where the business operates. Moreover, they need to mention the FSSAI number on the package of their products.
Which Business Needs FSSAI Registration?
Different kinds of food business operators are required to have FSSAI registration to operate their services. The different kinds of food business operators are mentioned below-
- Small Retail Shops: Any retailer selling bakery products, snacks, etc., must have FSSAI registration.
- Temporary or Fixed Stalls: Temporary or fixed stalls involved in selling food items to customers, like Gol Gappa, Samosa, etc., are required to have FSSAI registration.
- Food Manufacturers: The food manufacturers involved in food manufacturing need an FSSAI License.
- Joint operating food services: The FSSAI license is mandatory for joint operating food services, regardless of their size. Whether small or big, they need to have their FSSAI license.
- Hotels or Restaurants: The Hotels or restaurants are required to secure this license, as they will offer various food services to the users.
- Import-Export Houses: Any food business that imports and exports food items must obtain an FSSAI license. Moreover, they need an Import-Export Code (IEC Code) for importing or exporting the items.
- Airports & Airplanes: As several eateries and restaurants are present in airports and airplanes, offering food services to their customers, they must maintain the food quality and comply with the FSSAI norms. Therefore, they must have an FSSAI license.
- Storage Houses: As mentioned previously, the storage houses are required to obtain the FSSAI license for storing food items.
- Dairy-Based Units or Industry: Any industry or unit dealing with dairy-based products like milk, curd, etc., must have an FSSAI license.
- Slaughter House: Any slaughterhouse or industry operating in flesh/meat must have an FSSAI license to ensure the meat’s quality.
Types of FSSAI License
Most people have a common misconception that the FSSAI license required by every industry or food-based unit is the same. However, different FSSAI licenses are issued differently for all food-based operators. The permit is of three types, which are mentioned below-
- Standard/Basic FSSAI License
The food-based operator, whose annual turnover is around 12 lakhs or less, must have this kind of food license. They must fill out Form-A and submit it to the FSSAI to get their license.
- State FSSAI License
A medium size food-based operator generating a profit of more than 12 lakhs and less than 20 crores should opt for this license. This kind of food license is meant for medium-sized FBOs, who must fill out Form B to obtain this license.
2. Central FSSAI License
Any large food-based operator or business operating on a large scale must have this kind of FSSAI License. To get this license, the dealer must fill the Form-B and submit it to the respective authority to secure their license. The business, generating revenue of more than 20 crores a year, needs this kind of food license.
Benefits of having an FSSAI License
There are several benefits of having an FSSAI License for manufacturing, storing or selling the products-
Increases the reputation
Having an FSSAI logo and number on the product will increase the overall reputation of the product in the mind of the users, as consumers are aware that FSSAI Logo products follow all kinds of food safety and quality norms.
Compliance with laws
With an FSSAI license, food-based operators follow every norm introduced by the central food authority. Moreover, these FBOs are not prone to penalties if they comply with the rules.
Securing Public Funds
The product having an FSSAI logo is likely to follow all kinds of rules and regulations introduced by the Government related to food safety. The license increases product sales and helps FBOs secure funds for their business.
The autonomous body ensures that no adulteration has been done with the food product and the food is fit for human usage. Moreover, it complies according to International food standards and safety. FSSAI does several quality checks to ensure the food product’s quality level.
1. What is FSSAI License?
An FSSAI License is a form of license offered by the central food authority of India for maintaining the quality and standards of food items.
2. Is the FSSAI License the same for everybody?
The FSSAI license differs from one unit to another, and everyone must have their type of FSSAI license, according to their revenue.
3. Who Needs FSSAI License or registration?
Any food business dealing with manufacturing, storing, or selling food products is responsible for having FSSAI registration or license.
4. Do small businesses require FSSAI registration?
Yes, small businesses are required to have FSSAI registration too.
5. How to get an FSSAI license?
FBOs can apply for the food license by filling out the required form and sending it to FSSAI. Once they’re verified, the FBOs will obtain their food license.