- See the process to change the address on your Aadhaar card.
- Check the list of valid documents that will be accepted as Proof of Address.
- Use your UID (Aadhaar Number) to update your address.
An Aadhaar Card is an identity proof of an individual that consists of a 12-Digit unique identification number. It also has the address and the date of birth of the individual and the 12-Digit Aadhaar Number differentiates the Aadhaar card of one individual from the Aadhaar Card of other individuals. But sometimes when an individual relocates from his permanent residence to another permanent residence then he is obliged to change the address on an aadhaar card. So, in this article, you can see the steps through which you can change address in an aadhaar card if you change your permanent address. You must also explore the supporting documents that will validate your current permanent address at the time of verification.
Steps to Update Address on Your Aadhaar Card
You must follow the simple steps given below to change and update your address on your aadhaar card.
- Go to the official website of UIDAI that is the home page.
- Then you can see the Update Aadhaar Option on the screen.
- Click on this option and the Aadhaar Update Service page will open.
- Scroll down and click on the Update Address in Your Aadhaar Option.
- Then the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal will open.
- Now click on the Proceed to Update Aadhaar button.
- Enter your 12-digit UID that is your Aadhaar Number.
- Enter the Captcha and then click on the Send OTP button.
- Once you receive a 6-digit OTP on your registered mobile number, you will have to enter it in the box and then click on the Login Button.
- After logging in, you can either update your address by address proof or update your address via secret code.
- Now enter your Updated Address in the Proof of Address and then click on the Preview Button.
- If still, you want to modify your address then click on the Modify button or else tick the Declaration box and click on the Submit button.
- Now choose the type of document you want to submit as proof of address and upload the scanned copy of the chosen document.
- Then finally, click on the Submit Button and your Aadhaar Update Request will be accepted and you will receive a 14-Digit URN.
- You can use the 14-Digit URN to check the aadhaar update status and once you see the updated version of your Aadhaar Card, you can download the e- aadhaar card online.
Valid Documents for Aadhaar Address Update
Now you know how to change your address in Aadhaar Card but you must go through the list of valid documents that need to be uploaded when you are changing your address. You can upload any one document from the following:-
|Bank Statement/ Passbook|
|Post Office Account Statement/Passbook|
|Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU|
|Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)|
|Water bill (not older than 3 months)|
|Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)|
|Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)|
|Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)|
|Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead|
|Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead|
|Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution on letterhead or Photo ID having address issued by Recognized Educational Institution|
|NREGS Job Card|
|Freedom Fighter Card|
|CGHS / ECHS Card|
|Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or MLC or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update|
|Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update|
|Income Tax Assessment Order|
|Vehicle Registration Certificate|
|Registered Sale / Lease / Rent Agreement|
|Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts|
|Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt|
|Disability ID Card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/ UT Governments/ Administrations|
|Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)|
|Passport of Spouse|
|Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)|
|Allotment letter of accommodation issued by Central/ State Govt. (not more than 3 years old)|
|Marriage Certificate issued by the Government, containing the address|
|Certificate from Superintendent/ Warden/ Matron/ Head of Institution of recognized shelter homes or orphanages etc. on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update|
|Certificate of Address having photo issued by Municipal Councillor on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update|
|Identity Card issued by recognized educational institutions|
|SSLC book having a photograph|
|School Identity card|
|School Leaving Certificate (SLC)/ School Transfer Certificate (TC), containing Name and Address|
|Extract of School Records containing Name, Address, and Photograph issued by Head of School|
|Certificate of Identity containing Name, Address, and Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution signed by Head of Institute on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update|
|Certificate of identity containing Name, DOB, and Photograph issued by Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update|
Note* – You will have to submit a scanned copy of any one document in order to update and change your address on the Aadhaar Card